Subawards comprise a significant amount of traffic through the College of Engineering's Research Administration office. Whether OSU is receving the funds or passing them through to another agency, these legally binding contracts require deft navigation from pre-award to close out. Subawards are to be distinguished from procurement. If the entity provides goods within normal business operation to you and others, not subject to terms and conditions of the award, and is not involved in the programmatic work of the project, then the activity is classified as procurement.
OSU is the subrecipient
- Contact institution issuing the subaward (funding agency) to find out their internal routing deadline. These are typically four business days before prime funding agency deadline across the board.
- Submit a request for service to COE Proposal Support at least nine business days before subcontracting institution's deadline. Requests made with less than five business days will be addressed at grant coordinators' discretion.
- Work with COE Proposal Support to make sure funding agency is registered in Cayuse. If not, forward registration webform to funding agency contact. They will need the Cayuse number and OSU PI name.
- Upload and submit in Cayuse a budget, detailed justification, and statement of work (SOW).
- Once approved in Cayuse, OSRAA will generate a letter of intent signed by OSU's authorizing organizational representative and email it to the PI.
- PI is responsible for sending all proposal documents to funding (lead) institution).
OSU is giving a subaward to another institution
- Submit a request for service to COE Proposal Support team at least nine business days before sponsor deadline.
- Work with COE Proposal Support to make sure subawardee is registered in Cayuse. If not, forward registration webform to subawardee contact. They will need the Cayuse number and OSU PI name.
- Prepare to contribute verbiage to the subawards/subcontracts section of the budget justification.
- Coordinate with each subawardee to have the following documents uploaded to Cayuse at least five days before the prime funding agency's deadline:
b. budget justification
c. statement of work (SOW)
d. letter of intent signed by subawardee's authorizing organizational representative
e. copy of subawardee's institution's negotiated indirect cost agreement (10% de minimis may apply)
- Upload primary budget, justification, and proposal description to Cayuse. Primary budget should include subaward amounts. OSU F&A applies only to first $25K of each subaward, including those spanning multiple performance periods.