The Policy Directives became effective August, 2012. Some changes were effective immediately; some are in process and/or will be implemented as soon as is practicable for each agency.
- Crossover awards – e.g. from SBIR to STTR (or reverse) in Phase II; Phase II award can be from different participating sponsor than for Phase I.
- STTR awards increased to match SBIR
- Awards may exceed guideline amounts up to 50% with special waiver.
- Technical assistance increased from $4,000 to $5,000.
- All Phase I awardees are now eligible to apply for “follow-on” Phase II awards
- Phase II awardees may receive a second Phase II award to continue work
- Newly developed benchmarks are required effective 10/1/2013 for applicants who won previous awards. Proposed benchmarks will be published in the Federal Register for comment by 7/1/2013.
- “Tech-Net” data system will be developed to facilitate administrative reporting and program evaluation.
- SBA has published a proposed rule to permit majority-owned multiple venture capital operating companies to receive awards. (Final rule to be issued early 2013).
Read more about the key changes in SBIR/STTR Policy Directives
FAQ's on Amendments to SBIR/STTR Policy Directives